To ensure a legal stay in Denmark, there are several steps for non-Danish citizens to consider and remember.

The rules for entering Demark can vary depending on where you come from. Learn more about your situation below:

Where are you from?

  • Nordic citizens

    As a Nordic citizen of Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden, you are not required to register and you have the right to reside in Denmark without registering. As a Nordic citizen, you are free to reside, study and work in Denmark.

    Upon entering Denmark, you only need to register that you are here.

    This can be done by coming by the Borgerservice (Citizen Service) at Skolegade 1, 7100 Vejle. Opening hours are Monday-Wednesday 9-15, Thursday 9-17 and Friday 9-14.

    NOTE: that you have to book at time at Borgerservice. 

    Nordic nationals may enter Denmark without a passport, but you must always be able to identify yourself by means of, for example, a driver’s license, a passport or a cash card.

  • Residence for EU/EEA citizen

    As an EU citizen, you may freely enter Denmark and remain for up to three months without an EU residence document. If you are a job seeker, you may reside in Denmark for up to six months without a residence document. The three and six month periods are calculated from the date you enter Denmark.

    Read more at Registering as a EU citizen to find your options how to get the residence document. 

  • Citizens from outside Scandinavia, the EU/EAA and Switzerland

    Please note that the Danish Immigration Service administers this area. 

    Read more and find their contact information at New to Denmark.

I am registered, then what? 

There are many things you need to do once you have registered. To give you the best possible start in Vejle, we have collected the below list you need to consider: 

  • TAX registration

    It is important that you register with SKAT (Danish tax authority) when moving to Denmark. SKAT administers your taxes.

    It is a good idea to check out the SKAT website (link below) to stay up-to-date with Danish tax rules

    SKAT website in English.

    When you work in Denmark, you have to pay income tax. Apply for a tax card online by completing form 04.063.

    For further questions or information, you should contact SKAT directly - find their contact info here

  • CPR number

    Residents of Denmark are issued a CPR number (civil registration number) by the Danish Civil Registration System. CPR is an abbreviation for Central Person Register.

    The CPR number is essential when you are in contact with the Danish authorities, such as SKAT (tax authorities) and social services. 

    Find more info about "how to get a CPR" here: 

    EU citizen

    Non-EU citizen

  • Digital Post and Nem ID

    Once you receive your Danish CPR number (civil registration number) from the Danish Civil Registration System, you will receive Digital Post from the public authorities.

    Learn more about digital post at

    Read about NemID here

  • Health insurance

    As a resident of Denmark, public healthcare is provided free of charge to you, your spouse and children. However, you will need to pay for medicine and dental treatment.

    You need to inform Vejle Municipality about your former health care. See how to do this here

    When you register in Denmark, the Borgerservice (Citizen Service) will order a Danish health insurance card (the yellow card) for you. You will need to choose a doctor at that time.

    The yellow health insurance card is only valid in Denmark. You will need a separate (blue) European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) when traveling within the EU/EEA.

    If you do not already have the blue EHIC and are covered by the Danish health insurance, you can order the card for free online at with your NemID. Find the link at this site

  • Cross-border commuter

    If you are considering registering as a cross-border commuter, you need to pay special attention to specific aspects of your residency in Denmark.

    You are a cross-border commuter (also known as a frontier worker) if you live in another EU/EEA country and work in Denmark. There are several definitions, so please note that the term “cross-border commuter” may mean something different in another context, for example with respect to tax law.

    Read more about cross-border commuters at  

  • Consider this when moving

    You will need to sign up for some services when moving into your residence. 

    Check out this list at Life in Denmark. 

  • Banking

    Opening a Danish bank account is a good idea when living and working in Denmark.

    When opening a bank account, you are required to register it with the authorities as a NemKonto, which is an account that allows employers (salaries) and public authorities (social welfare benefits) to make payments directly into your NemKonto account.

    Similar to shopping for a bank in many other countries, it is advisable to shop around to find the bank that suits you best. There are large banks and smaller regional banks to choose from. Some banks have many branches, whilst others have few. Most banks provide e-banking in English.

    TIP: Before visiting a bank, call ahead to find out which documentation they require to open an account.

  • Driving licence

    In some cases, moving to Denmark may require you to exchange your foreign driving license for a Danish driving license. Read more about foreign driving licenses at

    To exchange your driving license, visit any Borgerservice (Citizen Service).


    In Vejle, Borgerservice is located at Skolegade 1, 7100 Vejle. Opening hours are Monday-Wednesday 9-15, Thursday 9-17 and Friday 9-14.

    Read more at Borgerservice (Citizen Service) site about this (site in Danish - choose language at top of page). 

    NOTE: you need to book a time to come to Borgerservice. 

    Call ahead at (+45) 76 81 01 56.

  • Bringing your own car?

    SKAT (Danish tax authorities) administers this area. Read more about it at the SKAT webiste.

  • When leaving Denmark - both for vacation and for good

    If you permanently leave Denmark, you are required to follow a specific procedure, which ensures that you are no longer registered as a resident in Denmark.

    Read more about practical matters before leaving at

    Please note that vacations of more than six months are considered permanently leaving Denmark.

Sidst opdateret: